Over the years, the 2D animation programs used by the cartoonists have been changed a lot. From the traditional approach of using pen and paper to filter out the ideas for using the best 2D animation software to illustrate more than the user thinking, make the job and even life easier and effective. A professional 2D animation software for beginners comes with everything from pre-defined slides to step-by-step tutorial guides which help the newcomers to give wings to their ideas.
There are a lot of 2D animation programs and software available in the market, and most of them are good as well as free for use too. But, when it comes to picking up the best among them, it becomes somewhat difficult especially for the beginners to start from. So, we have picked some of the best 2D animation software available in the market and provided their reviews to help the new professionals as well as the pros too for getting the good tool for creating awesome cartoon series and videos.
Check the best 2D animation software for beginners below:
Pencil 2D is one of the most favorite drawing/animation software for the beginners. It is available for free to download and use. It helps to create traditional hand-drawn animation cartoons.
- You can use both bitmap and vector graphics
- Free to use, which makes it perfect for beginners to start with
- You will be able to start animating immediately
- Layered functionality makes easy-to-use
- Needs improvements in importing and exporting features
- If you are a Mac user and want more details in this 2D animation program, then you may have to pay some extra
It is a good 2D animation program for the users of all ages.
The “Anime Studio Debut” from Smith Micro Software Inc. is a perfect 2D animation program for the beginners. It comes with an included library of pre-loaded characters and assets. You can use them for creating stunning scenes to make a popular video or series.
- It comes with tools which work as freehand drawing tools
- Compatible with drawing tables
- You can get full control on your character’s moves, turns, and bends
- It comes with a multi-touch support for the Wacom tablets
- Though the Anime Studio Debut gets updates at frequent times; sometimes it keeps crashing a much
- If you want a 2D animation program for a comic creation, then you may not find this strong enough
You may be able to create your comic series, but it is not-at-all suitable for a graphical novel. It is a tremendously helpful 2D animation software for the beginners, though.
“Adobe After Effects” is perfect for creating post-production effects on a video and to create a high-end motion graphics. The smaller scale of the program allows creating stunning 2D video animations. It allows you to create series of content titles and quick animations.
- It has an accurate and fast face tracker
- Compatible with the Windows and Mac Operating Systems both
- It allows you to have an uninterrupted preview
- Full access to the Adobe Creative Cloud Library
- It draws an enormous power, so you will need a powerful computer to run it normally
- If you are getting it for professional work, then you may find that the character animator has limited features
You may not find some advanced or full features, but the Adobe performance will make you enjoy it for quite a time.
In the industry of 2D animation software, Toon Boom Harmony is a premier name. The big banners like Warner Bros., Disney, and Nickelodeon uses the products of Toon Boom wisely in their projects. It can be said as the best powerful 2D animation software available today. Get this independent guide for the Toon Boom Harmony.
- It allows you to do everything including Flash Style cut-out animation, traditional paper drawing, etc. with its awesome drawing tools
- It allows you to give a natural look to the character’s movements
- You can also show your previous work under the sketch which gives a smooth motion
- It automatically animates the series of points either via keyframe or frame-by-frame animation
- It is very expensive
- You may not get full step-by-step tutorials for all the features
Nevermind if you are a hobbyist or a beginning animator or a professional designer, the Toon Boom Harmony will not let you down.
As they bannered on their website, the Digicel FlipBook makes the 2D animation even easier for the beginners in the field. It is a favorite 2D animation program among the professional animators as well as a company like Disney. According to your budget and needs, you can choose from a range of different versions of the software.
- Easy to use interface
- You can designate your own areas to erase or fill with
- You can trace your previous as well as next frame to adjust the movements in the current working frame
- Different file types support for import, export, and render
- If you want a High Definition output, then you will need to buy a more expensive ProHD version
- Limited support for the animation tutorial
It is one of the most favorite 2D animation software today which comes with old-fashioned drawing tools with time-saving features.
We all grew up watching Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, etc. Still, they refresh our minds while we watch them again. Many times, I thought that maybe someday I also will be able to create my own animated cartoon series (Ideas and their implementations are two different things!).
The 2D animation software saves your time of spending years in an art school or getting training from a production house. From simpler to complex animations, you can create stunning cartoons and videos in your way. The above list of the “Best 2D Animation Software for Beginners” will help you to get a perfect program according to your budget and requirements.